I was very happy to be nominated last month for the Liebster Award. This is basically an award from other bloggers that like what you’re writing about. Once nominated, you continue to highlight smaller blogs so they can eventually grow and reach more people as well. I like the idea because it features bloggers that have a lot of great things to say but maybe haven’t gained a following yet. Thank you to Ruthie at Fish Out of Water who nominated me! 🙂
So, here is how it works:
1. When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself
2. You must answer 11 questions from the person who nominated you.
3. Pass the award onto 11 other blogs
4. Ask them 11 questions.
5. You are not allowed to nominate the blogger who nominated you!
11 Facts About Me:
- I’ve been living in Brazil for the last three years.
- I’m a fake vegetarian in that I try not to eat meat but I can’t seem to resist Brazilian churrasco (BBQ).
- I don’t like to wear the color pink.
- I read up to 5 books all at the same time.
- I’m scared of technology because I can’t seem to keep up with it.
- I hate to cook but want to be a foodie so this is a huge dilemma in my life.
- One of my biggest weaknesses is remembering song lyrics.
- I’m still scared of the dark.
- I’d rather live out of a suit case than the comfort of a home base.
- I used to pretend I was allergic to dish soap and now washing dishes is my favorite household chore because it gives me time to think.
- I want to be a student for the rest of my life.
11 Questions from Ruthie:
1) what is the most recent book you’ve finished? Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi-Ali. It blew my mind and I think everyone interested in how religion (especially Islam) can shape society and politics should read it. You can read my book review here.
2) what is the first thing you do when you wake up? Kiss Michele good morning even if she keeps right on sleeping. And then make a cup of Earl Grey tea.
3) favorite piece of artwork/decoration in your living space? Michele bought me a painting for my birthday last year. It’s of a yellow trolley that used to circulate high up on the hill in Santa Marta but crashed and was never replaced. It was so charming and I hope some day it will be brought back to the community.
4) favorite breakfast cereal? Honey Smacks. Doesn’t get any better than that.
5) what written words do you have memorized? Probably nothing of any importance. see: problems memorizing lyrics.
6) best gift you’ve ever received? Too hard to answer, mostly because they are all non material.
7) how did you meet your best friend? I’ve got a few best friends so I’m gonna skip this in the hopes of avoiding World War III.
8) favorite place you’ve traveled? Morro de São Paulo, a little island close to Salvador, Bahia.
9) what is a goal you are currently working toward? Being accepted for the Fulbright grant.
10) what is your go-to favorite song to make you happy? I’m All At Sea- the version by Jamie Cullum. It reminds me of rainy days, coffee shops and loads of books.
11) what would your ideal date night be, if money wasn’t a factor? Dinner at any amazing mediterranean restaurant followed by a show by Jamie Cullum.
Blogs I am nominating (There aren’t 11 because I don’t follow that many)
2. Juliana Britto at Latina Feminista
(Because she teaches me so much about Latina’s issues and why we should all care)
3. Ruthie at Fish Out of Water
(I’m breaking the rules but whatever. She’s got an awesome story and inspired me to start my own blog)
4. Judy Rickard at Torn Apart
(because she is an incredibly inspiring woman who fought tooth and nail for Marriage Equality)
5. Tina Boogren at Still Struggling at 30
(because even though she hasn’t been my teacher for 12 years, she’s still my mentor, editor and writing inspiration)
My questions for nominated blogs:
1. Which book do you feel every person needs to read in their lifetime?
2. Best place you have traveled to for relaxing?
3. Place you have traveled to for adventure?
4. Life philosophy?
5. Person that is not a friend or family member that has influenced you most in your life?
6. One thing you suggest everyone do before they die?
7. Your favorite thing to do when you have a day off/to yourself?
8. The place you want to retire?
9. Goal for this year?
10. A cause that you fight for/are interested in?
11. Is there a business you would like to start?